Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dialogue Workout 78


1.
A: Have you heard about Veronica’s new job?
B: No, I haven’t. Tell me about it.
A: To make a long story short, her Aunt Carmen got it for her.
B: I hope she can keep this one. She lost the last one because she was too nervous.
A: She’ll do much better this time around, I’m positive.
B: Maybe this time she’ll be able to keep cool.
2.
A: I heard Nina has broken off her engagement to Tom.
B: No kidding? That’s a surprise. I thought those two were inseparable.
A: She found out through the grapevine he kissed another woman at a party.
B: And when she confronted him, did he admit it?
A: He beat around the bush for a while, then he lied about it.
B: He shouldn’t have told a lie to Nina.
3.
A: He really pushed her buttons. She flew off the handle and screamed at him.
B: I’m glad she gave him a piece of her mind. So is it a done deal? Are they finished with each other?
A: Not completely. They agreed to remain friends. But their marriage plans are down the drain.
B: That’s not a problem for Nina. She’s a real sharp cookie. She’ll find another boyfriend.
A: Guess what? Tom has already found another girlfriend.
B: He has? Boy, he doesn’t waste any time.
4.
A: Did you pass your final exams?
B: Yes, just barely. I was sure I’d failed at least two of them.
A: You stayed up too late studying. You shouldn’t burn the candle at both ends.
B: Unfortunately, I didn’t stay up late studying. I was
hanging out at a party.
A: At a party? The night before finals? Not too wise.
B: Yes, If I had failed, I would have deserved it.
5.
A: Have you ever seen a house as clean as this one?
B: No, I haven’t. Everything is as neat as a pin.
A: Sonia doesn’t cut any corners when she cleans.
B: Her husband David is good with his hands. He fixes things around the house.
A: Sonia is an excellent cook. Her meals are delicious.
6.
A: Sorry, I’m late. I was at the dentist’s. Have you two been waiting long?
B: Not really. Actually, we’ve been having fun chewing the fat.
A: I’m getting hungry. As a matter of fact, I’m starved.
B: There’s a pretty good restaurant around the corner. We could grab a bite to eat there.
A: That’s sounds fantastic. I’ve been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I need to take it easy.
B: Yes, you need to relax or pretty soon you’ll burn out.
7.
A: I have to get up early tomorrow. I’ve got to catch the train to Sacramento.
B: Are you going there on business or just for pleasure?
A: Who goes to Sacramento for pleasure? No, I have to drop in on our branch office.
B: What’s up?
A: The new manager is something of a flake. I might have to straighten him out.
B: What a drag. I hope everything works out okay.
8.
A: Have you seen the Wallace’s new car? What a peach!
B: Yes, I have. It must have cost an arm and a leg.
A: Well, put it this way. It wasn’t exactly dirt cheap.
B: Does Jim Wallace have that kind of money to spend?
I didn’t think he made so much on his job.
A: Didn’t you know? His wife’s father is a millionaire.
B: Wow. That’s lucky. Jim certainly played his cards right.
9.
A: Why don’t you join our poker club? It’s really a lot of fun.
B: Thanks, but I’m not much of a card player. I prefer outdoor sports.
A: You don’t have to join the club or anything, just drop by and check it out.
B: I’d like to, but unfortunately, I’ve got a lot on my plate right now. My office is swamped with orders.
A: You don’t do anything but work. You’re getting into a rut. If you not careful, you’ll get burned out.
B: Yes, but if I don’t keep my nose to the grindstone, I’m afraid I might blow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment