Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dialogue Workout 77


1.
A: Why did you come to The United States?
B: I came here in order to get a good education.
A: What classes are you taking at Mission Campus?
B: I’m in the G.E.D. program and I’ve almost completed it. I’ll be taking the test next Friday.
A: I’m also interested in the G.E.D. program. I haven’t enrolled in it yet, but I want to.
B: They prepare you for the examination. If you pass it, you receive a high school diploma.
2.
A: What would you like to do when you finish G.E.D.?
B: I want enroll in City College for two years and get an AA degree.
A: Will you be continuing your education beyond the AA?
B: Yes. I’m hoping to attend UC Berkeley for my Junior and Senior years.
A: Will you eventually return to your country or will you make this your home?
B: That depends on a lot of factors. I really haven’t decided yet.
3.
A: If you visit Yellow Mountain, you won’t be interested in visiting another mountain.
B: In China, that’s what you often hear people say.
A: It is the most beautiful mountain in China. My husband and I went there when we retired.
B: Why are the pine trees called “iron pines?”
A: The roots grow deeply into the rocks. Therefore,
the trees can withstand strong winds.
B: What was the hardest part of your journey?
A: Climbing 700 stairs to reach the top. When we got there, I felt ecstatic.
4.
A: China means “Middle Country” in Chinese. Why is it called this name?
B: Because the Chinese thought their country was the only one that had four seasons.
A: That’s right. They thought that the East was the season of spring only.
B: And the West was the season of autumn. The North was winter, and the South was summer.
A: Only China had all four. So, China must be in the middle.
5.
A: My home town is the capital of Iran which is Tehran.
B: Iran is a country very rich in natural resources, yet many of its people are poor. Why is that?
A: In its history, Iran has been attacked by its neighbors many times.
B: Also, Iran has suffered under several dictatorships.
A: The most recent dictator was the Shah. Unfortunately, he was supported by the U.S. and by oil companies.
B: You can understand why Iranians were angry at the U.S. and the C.I.A.
6.
A: During the Cultural Revolution, I was forced to labor in the countryside.
B: That was very difficult for you. You had two sons, aged four and two years old.
A: I was allowed to visit them only once a month. Of course, I was worried about them.
B: After that, you moved to Hong Kong. You waited three and a half years for a visa from the U.S.
A: Yes. Living in the U.S. wasn’t easy at first. My husband didn’t get as good a job as he wanted.
B: Now, your two sons are grown up. They’re both computer scientists, and they’re doing very well.
A: Even though I am getting older, my life is much happier now.
7.
A: When I became a grandmother, it was the best day of my life.
B: Your grandson was the biggest baby in the nursery.
A: While he was growing up, he did something new every day that amazed us.
B: He is very amazing. At three years old, he is very intelligent, and he speaks clearly.
A: When I take him to the park to play, I feel like a young girl again.
B: He’s a big, handsome boy with lots of charisma.
8.
A: Chinese people aren’t used to eating hamburgers.
B: They don’t like to freeze meat, do they?
A: They don’t think frozen meat can be cooked into delicious food.
B: Besides, they can go to the market and buy fresh meat all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment