Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dialogue Workout 65


1.
A: Hello. I’m detective Robinson of the San Francisco Police Department.
B: Nice to meet you. I didn’t do anything wrong.
A: Someone was murdered in this neighborhood.
B: I’m sorry to hear that. How can I help you?
A: You might be able to help the investigation.
B: I’m happy to answer any questions you have.
2.
A: Did you hear a gun shot around 8:00 this evening?
B: I heard a loud noise. But it sounded like a firecracker.
A: What were you doing when you heard that shot?
B: I was washing dishes, and my wife was writing a letter.
A: Were you walking on the street at any time this evening?
B: No, I don’t think so. Wait. I might have gone to the corner to buy a paper.
3.
A: You might have gone to the corner to buy a paper?
B: Yes. In fact, I remember now, I went out around 7:45.
A: 7:45. That’s fifteen minutes before the murder occurred.
B: I suppose so. But I didn’t hear anything on the walk.
A: You said you heard something like a firecracker.
B: Yes, when I was washing dishes, I heard a firecracker.
4.
A: And when were you washing dishes?
B: I was washing dishes around 8:00. Yes, I’m sure of it.
A: When did you return from the store with the paper?
B: I got back from the store at 8:10. I looked at my watch.
A: Now, just a moment. Let me get this straight. You left at 7:45 to get a newspaper.
B: That’s right. I like to read the paper after I wash the dishes.
5.
A: And you got back from the store at 8:10. You looked at your watch.
B: Say, is this investigation going to take much longer?
A: Sorry to bother you. Give me another couple of minutes.
B: Because I have a lot of work to do tonight.
A: I understand. But solving this murder is important.
B: Also, my favorite TV program is on tonight. Last week it was canceled because of a wrestling match.
6.
A: I enjoy watching wrestling matches. I look forward to that program every week.
B: I avoid watching wrestling. The violence upsets me.
A: You don’t like violence, however you own a gun.
B: I own a gun? What gave you that idea?
A: I did a little research before this visit. There is a gun registered to your name. Here’s a copy of the form.
B: Yes, as a matter of fact, I own a gun. However, I fire it rarely.
7.
A: May I have a look at your firearm please?
B: Yes. It’s right here in my pocket. But I don’t know why you want to look at it.
A: It’s a little warm. Why is it warm? It feels warm to me.
B: I’ve been carrying it in my pocket, that’s why.
A: Are you trying to tell me that your pocket is warm?
B: Yes. Here’s my wallet. It’s warm too. I don’t know what you’re driving at.
8.
A: I’m simply trying to get to the bottom of this murder.
B: Well, maybe you should take your investigation somewhere else. I’m getting bored.
A: Are you? I thought you enjoyed murder investigations.
B: I’m feeling nervous all of a sudden. All these questions.
A: How was it possible for you to wash dishes at 8:00?
B: It was very possible. I used dish soap and
a sponge.
9.
A: But you clearly said that you were at the store between 7:45 pm and 8:10 pm.
B: Exactly. I went to the store to buy a paper. Why must I keep on repeating things?
A: And yet you were here washing dishes at 8:00 pm.
B: The very idea that I fired a shot and hit a young man in the back is absurd.
A: How did you know he was a young man?
B: Well, I ... I ....
10.
A: And how did you know that he was shot in the back?
B: It’s obvious that you have chosen the wrong man to investigate. I did nothing wrong.
A: You have warm gun and you know certain facts.
B: I have eyes don’t I? I can see the street from here.
A: You were looking at the street when the shot was fired?
B: Absolutely not. Why would I? That’s ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment