Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dialogue Workout 67


1.
A: I have a problem. My aunt Sophie will be visiting me next month.
B: Why is that a problem? She’s your favorite aunt.
A: I don’t have any space in my apartment to put her up.
B: Why can’t she sleep in your guest room?
A: Have you seen my guest room lately? It’s full of junk.
B: You should have a garage sale to get rid of that junk.
2.
A: Have you ever held a garage sale?
B: No, I’ve never held one. I don’t know how to do it.
A: For one thing, you have to advertise.
You can put an ad in The Chronicle or The Advertiser.
B: After I put an ad in the paper, then what do I do?
A: Make some posters and put them up on phone poles near your building.
B: Then a lot of people will come to my garage sale.
3.
A: Exactly. People read those ads all the time
They are looking for garage sales.
B: Do you think people will really buy this junk?
A: You would be surprised. One person’s junk is another person’s treasure.
B: All right, I’ll do it. I will hold a garage sale next Saturday.
A: Good. I’ll help you sell your junk. And I’ll bring some of my junk to sell too.
B: I’m looking forward to having this sale.
4.
A: Don’t act so nervous. Let the people look over the items.
B: Shouldn’t I go up to them and ask if they need help?
A: No, don’t do that. This isn’t a store.
If they like what they see, they’ll buy it.
B: I’ve never seen so many people at a garage sale before.
A: You did a good job of advertising it. That’s why there are so many people.
B: I stayed up all night making colorful posters.
5.
A: How much do you want for this VCR?
B: I’ve been thinking about how much I want to charge.
One hundred dollars, I guess.
A: One hundred dollars? That’s too much money. This is an old VCR.
B: It’s a few years old, but it works very well.
Although I haven’t used it for a while.
A: Can you please turn it on and put in a tape and prove to me it works?
B: I can’t do that. My TV is inside my apartment. I don’t want to bring it out.
6.
A: If you can’t prove to me it works, why should I pay $100.00 for it?
B: I told you that it works. There’s nothing wrong with it.
A: I still don’t think I should have to pay $100.00 for it.
B: Why not?
A: What if I bring it home and it doesn’t work?
Then I will have spent $100.00 for nothing.
B: All right. Suppose I sell it for $50.00. Will that make you happy?
7.
A: What if I take it home, put on a tape, and it destroys my tape?
B: That won’t happen. I promise you, that won’t happen.
A: But I can’t know for sure it won’t happen.
You refuse to demonstrate it.
B: All right. I have to take care of other customers.
Tell me a price you are comfortable with.
A: I’ll take it off your hands for $15.00. That’s all I have in my wallet at the moment.
B: Fine. It’s yours. I hope you’ll be happy with it.
8.
A: What’s this?
B: It’s a lid for a sauce pan. But I sold the sauce pan.
A: Why didn’t you sell the sauce pan and the lid together?
B: I wasn’t thinking. I was so busy helping customers.
A: It might fit my sauce pan at home. How much do you want for the lid?
B: Take it. It’s free. I hope it fits your sauce pan.
9.
A: How was your garage sale? Was it worth while?
B: Yes, I’m glad I held one. I made about two hundred dollars.
A: Great. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there to help you. Something came up.
B: That’s okay. Actually, a couple of neighbors helped me out.
A: You said you made two hundred dollars? But a lot of stuff is left.
B: I know. I sold small items, mostly. I still have a lot of junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment