Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dialogue Workout 79



1.
A: How was the party last night?
B: All told, it was a lot of fun. But in the beginning, it was pretty boring.
A: A lot of parties are like that. They need someone to break the ice.
B: I’m not good at meeting people. I’m something of a wallflower.
A: So, who started the ball rolling, Olivia?
B: You guessed right. She went out of her way to see that everyone enjoyed themselves.
2.
A: Jeff is quite unhappy with his job these days.
B: Why? Isn’t his new manager cutting it?
A: No. And not only that, the new manager is less than honest.
B: That’s sounds like big trouble. Jeff should go over the manager’s head to the top brass and get the guy fired.
A: It’s not as easy as it sounds. The manager’s uncle is on the board of directors.
B: Sounds like Jeff has a lot on his mind these days. Keep me posted. Meanwhile, I’ll see if I can pull some strings.
3.
A: I heard that they’re flying in somebody from the East Coast just for an interview.
B: That’s off the wall. There are plenty of people in the Bay Area they could hire.
A: I don’t know why they’re going out of their way like this.
B: Maybe they think this guy from back east is some kind of hotshot.
A: Hotshot or not. It’s bad policy to overlook your local talent pool.
4.
A: What really gets to me is the arrogance of the management.
B: Yes, I agree. Well, if you ask me, they aren’t going to get away with it.
A: What are you going to do about it? You’re only an assistant manager. You don’t have much clout.
B: Maybe I don’t. But I’m determined. I’ll stop it nothing until I get that promotion.
A: Don’t let this thing get you down. There’s not much point in obsessing about it. You’re in danger of biting off more than you can chew.
5.
A: My son is in a bad mood these days.
B: He’s a teenager, isn’t he? Teenagers tend to be moody and over the top.
A: Yes, my son will argue at the drop of a hat. He’s becoming a lose cannon.
B: Perhaps you need to sit down and have a nice, calm one on one chat with him.
A: If I can ever get him to sit down for a minute. He’s always off doing something.
B: It’s not easy to control teenagers. Once they’ve made up their minds, there’s no stopping them.
6.
A: My factory is closing its doors. I’m moving to Seattle.
B: I’m sorry to hear that. I’ll really miss you.
A: We’ll have to keep in touch by email.
B: Definitely. Now as soon as you get to Seattle, give me a buzz and let me know your new phone and address.
A: Right. When we’re settled in I’ll write and tell you everything that’s happening with us.
B: All right. Now, remember. You’re one of my best friends. I don’t want to lose touch with you.
7.
A: I can’t believe it. I did all that work for nothing. The management won’t give my report the time of day.
B: You shouldn’t be discouraged. After all, no one can say you didn’t hold up your end.
A: I suppose I shouldn’t have been so honest, but I wanted to be straight with them.
B: It could be they didn’t llke what they were hearing in that report.
A: I tried to spell out as clearly as I could the advantage of hiring local talent.
B: Maybe they have their heart set on this hotshot from back east.
8.
A: We’re a little up in the air right now. We don’t know where we’re going to live.
B: I have it on good authority that the rents are cheaper in Seattle.
A: That’s what I heard to. I don’t think we’re going to end up on the street or anything.
B: Any time you make a move this big you feel in over your head.
A: You said it. I’ll be very glad when we’ve nailed things down.

No comments:

Post a Comment