Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dialogue Workout 58


1.
A: Are you applying for a job as a stock clerk?
B: That’s right. I understand there’s some ordering involved. What are the other duties?
A: You’ll be taking inventory and also doing some billing.
B: About how much billing work is there?
A: About two hours a day. Sound interesting?
B: Yes, it does. What is the work schedule?
2.
A: Monday through Friday, from 4:00 pm to midnight.
B: Is there any overtime work?
A: Yes, there is. About once or twice a month.
B: A little overtime is no problem for me. Could you tell me something about the fringe benefits?
A: Employees get one sick day a month and ten vacation days a year.
B: I’m really interested. May I have an application?
3.
A: You’re interested in the shipping clerk job. Is that right?
B: That’s right. I’m presently working for Exxon as a service station attendant.
A: How long have you had that job?
B: About a year and a half. I got it when I moved to San Francisco.
A: What are your responsibilities there?
B: I have to pump gas, wash windshields, change oil,
and change tires.
4.
A: Everyone who works in this factory must observe safety regulations.
B: What are the safety regulations here?
A: For one thing, you must wear an apron because you are working with chemicals.
B: I understand. What else?
A: You must wear ear protectors because the machines make loud noises.
B: That’s okay. I wore an apron and ear protectors in my last job.
5.
A: I started work yesterday. Today, my ears hurt.
B: I know why. You didn’t wear your ear protectors.
A: You’re right. I should have worn my ear protectors.
B: Bob has been working here for a week. Today, his shirt has a hole in it.
A: He hasn’t been wearing his apron.
B: Exactly. He should have been wearing his apron.
6.
A: Has anyone seen my safety glasses?
B: I haven’t seen them. Could you have left them by the coffee machine?
A: No, I looked there. I must have left them home.
B: That’s all right. I have an extra pair. You’re welcome to borrow them.
A: Thanks very much. I’ll return them to you after my shift.
B: That’s okay. I don’t need them today.
7.
A: I shouldn’t have taken this job. The work is too dangerous.
B: Maybe you would be happier in an office job.
A: The working conditions in an office are better than here.
B: But do you have typing and filing skills?
A: I’ve never used a computer, but I’m sure I could learn how.
B: I suggest you take a computer class at Mission Campus.
8.
A: I’m worried about Julio. He’s never this late to work.
B: That’s right. He must have missed the bus.
A: I can’t think of another explanation. If he were sick, he would notify us.
B: He might be sick and be unable to contact us.
A: That’s a possibility. I think we should call his home and
check up on him.
B: He’s a very reliable employee. I’m sure something has come up.
9.
A: Julio just called to say he’s quitting.
B: That’s terrible news. He’s one of our best employees.
A: He says he can’t stand working here anymore.
B: I’m going to call him. Maybe I can talk him into staying.
A: I don’t think you can. I think he’s made up his mind.
B: I don’t know any factory that has better working conditions than this one.
10.
A: Julio. You have been working here for six years.
B: I know. They were the worst six years of my life.
A: Why do you say that? I thought you loved this job.
B: It is the most dangerous factory in San Francisco.
A: It isn’t dangerous if you’re careful. And you’re always careful. You always observe safety regulations.
B: I’ve decided I need a change. This office job opening came up, and I jumped at the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment