Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dialogue Workout 57


1.
A: Can you tell me a little more about the position?
B: Certainly. I’ll try to answer any questions you have.
A: I’d like to know the lab technician’s responsibilities.
B: The lab technician performs medical tests.
A: I see.
B: Also, you will have to take blood samples from patients.
2.
A: Do you think you could handle those responsibilities?
B: Definitely. In my present job, I’ve been performing medical tests and taking blood samples from patients.
A: Have you worked in a hospital this large before?
B: No, I haven’t. Currently, I work in a small clinic.
A: You understand that your work schedule might change.
B: Yes, I understand that. It’s okay with me.
3.
A: Could you explain a little more about what we’ll be doing?
B: Sure. We’ll be spending a lot of time with prep work.
A: Prep work? What does that mean?
B: Before we begin painting, we have to do a lot of sanding and spackling.
A: I see. Thank you for explaining that.
B: We’ll be spending a lot of time on the scaffold.
4.
A: Do you think you can handle that kind of work?
B: Sure. I did a lot of prep work in my previous job.
A: But you said you didn’t know what prep work was.
B: In my previous job, I spoke my native language.
A: I see. You did prep work, but you have a different word for it in your language.
B: That’s right. I actually have quite a bit of experience doing that kind of work.
5.
A: Could you tell me the responsibilities of the chef in this restaurant?
B: Yes, the chef has to supervise the kitchen staff.
A: You mean the chef is responsible for everything that happens in the kitchen.
B: That’s right. But I’m sure you’ll be able to handle it.
A: Yes, I’m sure too. Although I worked in a smaller restaurant, I had to manage the entire kitchen.
B: We’re very glad to have you on board.
6.
A: I’m sorry to have to tell you, this factory is closing.
B: That’s bad news. I’ve worked here for six years.
A: Yes, and you’re one of our best workers.
B: Does this mean we will all be laid off?
A: That’s right. We are opening a new factory in Seattle.
B: I don’t know if I can get another factory job.
7.
A: Would you be willing to relocate to Seattle?
B: I don’t know if I can do that. I have children in school here.
A: If you could move to Seattle, we would like you to work for us again.
B: This is a difficult decision. My wife works as a nurse.
A: I know it’s a difficult decision. I suggest you talk it over with your family.
B: All right, I’ll discuss it with them and I’ll talk to you again in a couple of days.
8.
A: Did you talk it over with your family?
B: Yes, I did. The children don’t like the idea. They will have to leave their friends.
A: That’s true. It’s always difficult to move.
B: On the other hand, I have a good position with the company.
A: You have a lot of seniority and good benefits.
B: We decided to move to Seattle in spite of the difficulties.
9.
A: I heard that Tom Wallace is moving to Seattle.
B: That’s right. He really didn’t have any choice.
A: I heard that his factory closed.
B: Yes, and anyone unwilling to move to Seattle got laid off.
A: I’ll miss Tom and I’ll miss his family.
B: We’ll have to keep in touch with him by email.
10.
A: Tom, you’re relocating to Seattle. That’s a big move.
B: Yes, it is. And I’m a little nervous about it.
A: How come?
B: I’ve never been to Seattle, and no one in my family has been there either.
A: I hope you have a good raincoat and an umbrella, Tom.
B: I know. It rains a lot in Seattle. I’ll need to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment